About Me

My photo
Hello, I’m Toni Love, and I live in an unbelievable chaotic space know as my life. I’m first generation,born in the UK, of West African descent. I was married, became a mum, and divorced all before I was 25, and have spent the last 10 years keeping it all together. In my former life I was a copy writer for one of the big 5 firms (or 4 I think it is now). Anyway, after a career break to raise my son, on my return I found I was all sloganed out! I moved into the corporate world then, and started my own consultancy. I have a 9 year old son, Barry, who recently went off to boarding school abroad, and a cat called Snowy who prefers the company of my neighbour's to mine, thus making me “petless” and child free. It was only then I took stock and realised the nothingness of it all; a sort of mini life crisis. I have decided to shake things up a bit. I miss writing, so that’s why I blog, I need new direction, new goals and new objectives. I’m thinking a change in career, a new pastime, relocation and a nice gentleman friend to ice the cake! (Why not put it out there! ;o) Thank you for joining me on this journey. I welcome comments, suggestions or any ideas on postings! Enjoy the ride! 

Thursday 14 March 2013

Always the journey

The Case
Okay, so I am a thirty-something woman who has given a whole new meaning to the term “couch potato.” My idea of exercise is driving a manual car as opposed to my normal automatic. I wouldn’t say I am lazy, but I avoid strenuous activity at all cost. I have on occasion stood friends up because I got as far as their foyer, only to realise the lift was out of order!!! (She lived on the 22nd floor! Can you blame me?) I simply telephoned from the comfort of my car and advise them I would not be coming over.

I have even refused to stay in some lovely hotels simply because they had no lifts, which on reflection was a shame because I love historic buildings. I just love the ones with lifts more!

Most of my friends understand my total aversion to any sort of excise, which is odd because my closest friend and travel companion is a gym extremist! (I call her the bionic woman.) Honestly, I don’t know how she puts up with me. Actually, now that I think about it, I do: we compromise. She hits the gym while I hit the buffet hall. Its as simple as that! On one of our golfing holidays I was mortified to find the buffet had closed before I had eaten, and almost refused to tee off that day! Being the love that she is, she smuggled out a packed lunch for me before she swam 20 lengths of the Olympic sized pool!!!

My Defence
Fortunately for me I am one of those people who is naturally slim, though I have learnt very quickly that thin does not equate to fit! Slim and fit are two totally different things! I love food. I love good food, which is a blessing and a curse - it’s a curse because when I find a fabulous restaurant (such as AQUA, Welwyn) I do it to death (5 times a week!)  - but if there is no good food or good company I'll eat what I must to survive, which happens to be very little.

Previously, my hair was a huge obstacle to doing anything remotely physical as it took so long to whip it into shape. I'd be dammed to have it sweat out for any reason. This is no longer an issue since, as of November, I have liberated myself from my hair after being shown the light from my special friend ‘Tart.’ Tart couldn’t understand why I'd force my hair into doing something it doesn’t do naturally, or why I'd want to look like something I wasn’t; then the penny dropped and I cancelled my fortnightly trip to the salon @ £95 a pop plus 5 precious hours of my life.

My favourite pastime is reading; I read on average 6 to 8 books each month, most on audio as I have such a long commute into work, I tend to visit some of the places, and try the food, explore the culture, featured many of the books I read. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no Gulliver, but I do have a very curious mind. Most recently, bionic woman recommended I read a book titled “A Book of Human Skin” and it was amazing. We decided our next holiday should be to Peru to do the Inca trail, which I agreed to before I realised it was 24k trek through the Andes through some very tricky terrain! Still, my word is my bond and a promise is a promise! 

The ruling
After doing the research I learned that the trek is considered “moderate to strenuous” with a minimum of 6  hours hiking per day over the course of 4 days. The guides say you should be able to climb a minimum of 2000 stairs and fast-walk 10 kilometres as a benchmark, but then you must make allowances for the altitude! I AM DOOMED. I can’t manage 5% of this basic level of fitness. Its time for change! 

With all this extra time on my hands, and all this extra money from allowing my hair to grow feral, I decided to visit this place they call “the gym” and begin my training.
I'm 4 weeks into my journey and decided to do something else I've been meaning to do for years: BLOG.

Its a Sign!


No comments:

Post a Comment