About Me

My photo
Hello, I’m Toni Love, and I live in an unbelievable chaotic space know as my life. I’m first generation,born in the UK, of West African descent. I was married, became a mum, and divorced all before I was 25, and have spent the last 10 years keeping it all together. In my former life I was a copy writer for one of the big 5 firms (or 4 I think it is now). Anyway, after a career break to raise my son, on my return I found I was all sloganed out! I moved into the corporate world then, and started my own consultancy. I have a 9 year old son, Barry, who recently went off to boarding school abroad, and a cat called Snowy who prefers the company of my neighbour's to mine, thus making me “petless” and child free. It was only then I took stock and realised the nothingness of it all; a sort of mini life crisis. I have decided to shake things up a bit. I miss writing, so that’s why I blog, I need new direction, new goals and new objectives. I’m thinking a change in career, a new pastime, relocation and a nice gentleman friend to ice the cake! (Why not put it out there! ;o) Thank you for joining me on this journey. I welcome comments, suggestions or any ideas on postings! Enjoy the ride! 

Friday 24 May 2013

One to One


So, Barry has been in town for the last few weeks, hence my long absence. I love having him home as I love playing Mommy. As a full-time working single mother I seldom get the time. Him schooling abroad has helped, as when is comes home he gets my undivided attention for the duration of his stay.
Quality Time
Surprisingly, and in contrast to the usual mad dash of cramming everything in -- theatre, amusement parks, cinema, museum and art exhibitions, and not forgetting visits to friends across the UK and abroad -- we spent most of his holiday doing absolutely nothing! Being an only child I often buddy him up with a cousin or a good friend, but not this time. All he wanted to do was to hang out with me and do nothing. “Mummy I just want us to stay indoors and watch some TV.” This was an unusual request as we never watch any TV. Ever since he was little we have had a “no TV” policy and have gone months without even having one in the house. We both always used to say we would rather live life than watch imaginary people act theirs. Immediately I could sense that all was not well.

Meerkat

True Confessions
So, I indulged him and we snuggled up on the settee and watched TV ('Himalaya' with Michael Palin-- an amazing documentary I must say). We both dosed off and I woke up to the sound of sobbing. I asked him what was the matter and he replied, “I like school and I like Ghana, but I miss you.” It broke my heart to hear my little man so sad; I just wanted to scoop him up and wrap him in cotton wool. When I asked him if it would help if I lived in Accra,  he said no, he would still miss the British way of life! And I totally got it. It must be a huge cultural shock for him; even after a year he misses things he used to take for granted. Feeling a bit shy now at my obvious concern he felt it was time to “man up” and get moving on the day’s activities.
“I'd like to go on a safari!” he said! Don’t worry Mommy will see to that! Just as well, Chessington World of Adventurers had just opened a brand new 'safari' park. With a bit of imagination we will have a blast!

Nemo and Dory

Jab Time
Training has been on hold this week due to my little man being home. There is no way I’m ditching him to hang out in the gym, though I did take him out on a very long walk (5 miles); he complained continuously and insisted we take the car next time!
I have a long list of jabs I will need for my trip to the Andes; they include tetanus, hepatitis, yellow fever, typhoid and rabies! Yes, rabies. This was a new one to me until the nurse advised that it won’t stop you from contracting the disease, but it will  stop you foaming at the mouth! I’ve gotten quite used to foaming at the mouth!


No comments:

Post a Comment