About Me

My photo
Hello, I’m Toni Love, and I live in an unbelievable chaotic space know as my life. I’m first generation,born in the UK, of West African descent. I was married, became a mum, and divorced all before I was 25, and have spent the last 10 years keeping it all together. In my former life I was a copy writer for one of the big 5 firms (or 4 I think it is now). Anyway, after a career break to raise my son, on my return I found I was all sloganed out! I moved into the corporate world then, and started my own consultancy. I have a 9 year old son, Barry, who recently went off to boarding school abroad, and a cat called Snowy who prefers the company of my neighbour's to mine, thus making me “petless” and child free. It was only then I took stock and realised the nothingness of it all; a sort of mini life crisis. I have decided to shake things up a bit. I miss writing, so that’s why I blog, I need new direction, new goals and new objectives. I’m thinking a change in career, a new pastime, relocation and a nice gentleman friend to ice the cake! (Why not put it out there! ;o) Thank you for joining me on this journey. I welcome comments, suggestions or any ideas on postings! Enjoy the ride! 

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Timeless Travel


So, I went to hang out with Tart for a long weekend; a friend of his had some whisky doo in Edinburgh so were tagging along for fun! I normally fly from Luton or Stansted to Edinburgh, but if I’m honest I find the hole process very stressful. Coming from me, a seasoned traveller, it says a lot.

I just feel that the attitude is, if it don’t fly out of Heathrow, anything goes!
First class cabin

Orange Squash
Okay, so my chosen carrier EASYJET may have something to do with my not-to-fond memories of this journey. EASYJET, being the Wal-Mart of air travel, really is the pits, with staff whom can only be described as horrendous!! They take great pleasure in bullying passengers and letting them know who is boss; you so much as look at them sideways and they will threaten to take you off the flight.  And as for their baggage policy, it’s a joke.


Bagage Test
On one of my trips I had a hold-all which can be “manipulated” into the little test box they have close by the entrance of the ramp. So when asked to place my luggage in the test box I jumped straight to it. It was like a WWF slap down, me taking body slams on my bag to shoehorn it into this little metal box, which I know has shrunk since my last journey, in order to demonstrate that my bag is cabin-approved. Eventually I got the bag in only to be told, “sorry Madame that strap is poking out,” with my hair sweated out and my make-up running I glared at the girl and snarled, “I beg your pardon.”  I must have looked possessed as she then went on to say, “I shouldn’t really let you on, but on this occasion I will.” She then stood there waiting expectantly for me to gush my appreciation for this favour she had bestowed on me! It wasn’t going to happen. After a 2-minute stare down she gave me my documents and I was able to board. 
Newcastle

And all this was after going through security, where I had to face the dreaded pat down, which is an excuse for some chick to cop a feel, whilst she advises in a loud voice, “I just need to check your padding properly”!!!!  The bra was a gel one and I was told on good authority that no one could tell by feeling, but the woman was clearly an expert! I feel used just by recalling the experience.

No, no, no, not this time! I am going by train. Yes you can close your mouths. I took a train to Edinburgh. In terms of time it takes just over 4 hours, which seems like a lot but with a door-to-door comparison its about the same. There isn’t much in the cost as I went 1st class but the experience was simply amazing! 
Angel of the North
Great Britan
The views were spectacular, almost like a whirlwind tour of Great Britain. We when through York with its amazing natural landscape (if you close your eyes when you get to the wind turbines!), then on to Newcastle with views of Tyne Bridge via The Angel of the North, and the historic town of Durum. I mean these are places I seldom get to visit, so to see them all in a day in the comfort of my chair was a real treat.The service was how it used to be before airlines got greedy with tea and coffee on tap, with several meals and snacks served throughout the journey. Pack as much luggage as you like, and no extra charge for golf clubs, and seats that you can really snuggle up and die in with all the legroom you need. And (at no extra charge) not to mention wifi and plug sockets!

I arrived at my destination relaxed and ready for a fun-packed weekend.
Scotland

I would strongly recommend rail as opposed to domestic flights if you still enjoy creature comforts whilst you travel. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment