About Me

My photo
Hello, I’m Toni Love, and I live in an unbelievable chaotic space know as my life. I’m first generation,born in the UK, of West African descent. I was married, became a mum, and divorced all before I was 25, and have spent the last 10 years keeping it all together. In my former life I was a copy writer for one of the big 5 firms (or 4 I think it is now). Anyway, after a career break to raise my son, on my return I found I was all sloganed out! I moved into the corporate world then, and started my own consultancy. I have a 9 year old son, Barry, who recently went off to boarding school abroad, and a cat called Snowy who prefers the company of my neighbour's to mine, thus making me “petless” and child free. It was only then I took stock and realised the nothingness of it all; a sort of mini life crisis. I have decided to shake things up a bit. I miss writing, so that’s why I blog, I need new direction, new goals and new objectives. I’m thinking a change in career, a new pastime, relocation and a nice gentleman friend to ice the cake! (Why not put it out there! ;o) Thank you for joining me on this journey. I welcome comments, suggestions or any ideas on postings! Enjoy the ride! 

Wednesday 21 August 2013

A Tail of Two Cities


Smogtastic Lima
We stayed at the Miraflores in Lima, which is a lovely 4-star, however my first impressions of Lima were not at all good. It was crowded, noisy and covered by a blanket of smog. A real pea souper with hardly any green open space, and the weather was dull and dreary.

Smog


We spent 2 days in Lima, which was more than enough. There’s lots of cathedrals, monasteries and museums to see; we went to 4 in one afternoon. There were city tours for about 75 soles, which is around £20 per person. We decided to hire a taxi to give us a tour as we wanted to see the city at our own pace, which was fast; it cost 150 Soles for 4 hours. (way to early to haggle!)


The Franciscan monastery was amazing with recently uncovered frescos dating back hundreds of years, and lavish ceremonial carriages gilded in gold. Bionic woman has a real morbid streak and loved the catacombs, which I found very disturbing. I can’t imagine those poor souls realised that when they were dead and buried their bones would be exhumed and arranged into lovely designs or just heaped in piles for tourists to come and gawk at; it's cremation for me!  
Last Rites
An uncoverd Grave





The architecture was very interesting; it had a Spanish colonial style to it, and the people were friendly enough and willing to help a weary traveller. We did get stung by the taxi driver who offered to take us to a nice restaurant and wait for us to enjoy our meal; this little friendly offer cost us twice as much as the city tour. This was our own fault as everybody knows all prices should be negotiated before the trip, as well as any “kind offers,” but we were tired and weary, so can be forgiven for this oversight!





Though the city is on the coast it was more stone beaches as opposed to sand; but the seafood was amazing, as was all the food in Peru .

By the end of the second day we had seen enough and were ready to depart to Arequipa. 

Bridge of lights!













Arequipa
We left for Arequipa at the crack of dawn: 4:30 a.m. to be precise. I am not a morning person so needless to say I was out of sorts. The taxi ride to the airport was a short one and we arrived at the airport in good time. So began the first of very many domestic flights. We flew with TACO airline which had a fleet of more sturdier plans as opposed to the tiny little propeller things passing themselves off as commercial airliners.


Check-in was tedious as we had suitcases and our cumbersome backpacks, mine being 35 litres. We finally got through the domestic airport and to the departure lounge. By this point I was starving; unfortunately, there was nothing to be had within the domestic departure lounge. However, being the African that I am I had come to Peru prepared with several bags of “choffi.”  Choffi is an African delicacy which can only be described as seasoned  deep fried and cured turkey rear! It’s delicious! Unfortunately for bionic woman, being a vegetarian meant she had to be content with a dubious cup of coffee until we got to Arequipa.


Arequipa is a beautiful city, also known as the “White City.” It is located at an altitude of 2,328 metres above sea level, and is nested between mountains and a volcano. Of all the cities we visited it was in fact one of my favourite. On arrival at Arequipa I was surprised at how basic the airport was; it was like a wedding marquee, the immigration desk was a box, and customs was a dude who stood behind what appeared to be a garden table. This did not mean that security was lax; there were at least 3 sniffer dogs! I prayed for my uneaten choffi!


We stayed in a hotel called Sonesta Posadas del Inca Arequipa, which was a lovely hotel ideally located in the town square with all major attractions within walking distance, with fantastic views of the volcano and a rooftop swimming pool. The air was nice and crisp and the people were warm and friendly – a far cry from the pea souper we'd left behind in Lima.


Since I was ravenous I headed straight to the buffet breakfast, which was great! After being fed and watered I headed straight to bed. The jet lag was no joke. We spent 2 nights in Arequipa. I was all churched out after Lima and wanted to do nothing more than read and relax by the pool. I told bionic woman that it was all part of my acclimatisation; she insisted on a daily work out of 100 squats and lunges, planking which would make Ms. Carter cry, and her personal favourite: a gruelling session of abs. I was ready to pass out and saw the first signs of what the altitude could do to one's fitness. I was a little concerned.


There was lots to do in the city and its surrounds. The activities were mainly extreme sports -- well, that’s what I judged them to be. White water rafting, volcanic ash surfing, mountain biking down the volcano, climbing the volcano... We opted out of all of these on the basis of trying to conserve our energy and to avoid injury. Besides visiting Santa Catalina we did very little. I did even less. I purchased my first bag of coca leaves and begun to chew. The leaves did indeed pep me up a bit. It was becoming apparent, however, that the altitude was gonna be a bitch! 


We left Arequipa, and to be honest I was sad to leave, or perhaps I was more anxious about traveling to a higher altitude and, even more so, dreading the trek!!!

















 

No comments:

Post a Comment