About Me

My photo
Hello, I’m Toni Love, and I live in an unbelievable chaotic space know as my life. I’m first generation,born in the UK, of West African descent. I was married, became a mum, and divorced all before I was 25, and have spent the last 10 years keeping it all together. In my former life I was a copy writer for one of the big 5 firms (or 4 I think it is now). Anyway, after a career break to raise my son, on my return I found I was all sloganed out! I moved into the corporate world then, and started my own consultancy. I have a 9 year old son, Barry, who recently went off to boarding school abroad, and a cat called Snowy who prefers the company of my neighbour's to mine, thus making me “petless” and child free. It was only then I took stock and realised the nothingness of it all; a sort of mini life crisis. I have decided to shake things up a bit. I miss writing, so that’s why I blog, I need new direction, new goals and new objectives. I’m thinking a change in career, a new pastime, relocation and a nice gentleman friend to ice the cake! (Why not put it out there! ;o) Thank you for joining me on this journey. I welcome comments, suggestions or any ideas on postings! Enjoy the ride! 

Friday 22 March 2013

A Shoe for Every Season

I have recently started buying sensible clothes; by this I mean outdoor clothes, and it is almost as life-changing as actually going to the gym! This has come about since I started dating my special friend, “The Tart,” who enjoys outdoor pursuits,  but also  in preparation for my trek. Tart lives in a charming little fishing town in Scotland, which is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to; I mean, the view from his dining table is breathtaking. Anyway, after my 2nd visit I started to notice the double takes of my shoe candy, and not in the appreciative way that I am used to when I am in the big city. No, the looks tended to be more of a quizzical, almost comical, glares at my shoes. Then I noticed they all had on some sort of stout boot, be it Walking, Wellington or Fishing! Then I checked out their clothing and it was all the dull and outdoorsy, at which I couldn’t help but crinkle my nose.



Town mouse, Country mouse!

Fast forward 6 months, and I can’t get enough of the stuff! Its warm, cosy and has halved my dry cleaning bill. Outdoor clothes are still some of the ugliest clothing you will ever buy, but for the comfort it provides I’m sold! There must be some trendy outdoor clothes out there, or by the very definition must they be drab? Answers on a post card please.  I have now been introduced to “base layering” which means 3 thin layers for complete insulation, meaning you can hide the sensible stuff underneath regular stuff which is a win-win situation: no more “internal shivering” when out on sea front walks!  Now there's  only one problem: shoes!
 

As a retired shoe-a- holic (I say retired simply because I no longer go out and buy the first, second and third pair of shoes that makes my hart skip a beat) I think shoes are great works of art and I am in possession of a very extensive collection. I am too embarrassed to count, but at its peak I had in excess of 400 pairs! Though I must confess I had no show pieces; I wore all of my shoes, even the ones in the wrong size! But I just had to have ‘em. I have been “on the wagon” for the last 5 years, though my collection has grown its purely because I do not have the heart to throw away most of my old shoes! They hold oh-so-many memories. I can pick up any one of my shoes and have a tale to tell about them. If my shoes could talk the would make Oprah look like an amateur!

I am of the opinion that if you can only have one pair of shoes then make sure it is a red stiletto! Skinny jeans, white shirt, red stiletto; pinstripe suite, blue blouse, red stiletto; the little black dress, fishnet tights, and, yes, your trusted red stiletto! Be it casual, official or formal your red stiletto has got your back!


Mary
Paula

Denise


I am now desperately searching for a pair of hiking boots as I need to break them in a good few months before we leave for the Andes. I thought it could be a task my bionic woman and I could endure together, but even she has a well-worn pair. My mother always used to say “It hurts to be pretty,” and if your shoes are too comfortable then something is wrong! I have never bought a pair of shoes using the following parameters
·         Waterproof
·         Lightweight
·         Ankle support
·         Breathable

And why would I? If it rains stay indoors, if you want light weight wear flip-flops, and if you want breathable go bare foot and that is that.

Well, it’s not really; if I can’t find a good walking boot then I can’t do the trek and that really is that, and time is fast running out.

I need serious help………………………..  

1 comment:

  1. Maybe donating your old shoes to a needy cause might help in letting them go. Knowing your shoes are going to someone who will really appreciate them might ease the separation anxiety... Let me know and I'll gladly send you my P.O box info. I think 'Paula' and I could be good friends..;)

    Looking forward to seeing the boots you pick out!

    ReplyDelete