About Me

My photo
Hello, I’m Toni Love, and I live in an unbelievable chaotic space know as my life. I’m first generation,born in the UK, of West African descent. I was married, became a mum, and divorced all before I was 25, and have spent the last 10 years keeping it all together. In my former life I was a copy writer for one of the big 5 firms (or 4 I think it is now). Anyway, after a career break to raise my son, on my return I found I was all sloganed out! I moved into the corporate world then, and started my own consultancy. I have a 9 year old son, Barry, who recently went off to boarding school abroad, and a cat called Snowy who prefers the company of my neighbour's to mine, thus making me “petless” and child free. It was only then I took stock and realised the nothingness of it all; a sort of mini life crisis. I have decided to shake things up a bit. I miss writing, so that’s why I blog, I need new direction, new goals and new objectives. I’m thinking a change in career, a new pastime, relocation and a nice gentleman friend to ice the cake! (Why not put it out there! ;o) Thank you for joining me on this journey. I welcome comments, suggestions or any ideas on postings! Enjoy the ride! 

Thursday 4 April 2013

Time To Panic

The quest is over  
I have found the most comfortable pair of boots and I don’t care what they look like! Thank you all for your suggestions. I tried most and finally settled on a pair of Regatta ISOTEX; they are waterproof, breathable, as light as a feather, and as structured as a corset. Yes, they are very unattractive; they look huge on my feet and the clumpiest shoes I have ever owned.

It doesn’t help being a UK size 7 (I hear the clown theme tune playing in my head with every step); I have tripped up on my own feet several times. It’s like learning to walk all over again because your ankles are strapped in so tightly its nearly impossible to move, though no complaints from me. I’ve been told it will be my saying grace!!!
I have 100 days to “bond” with my boots and bond we will!



They feel better than they look!

The Expert  
I was up at “Tart’s” this weekend to “road test” the shoes and I learnt the following:

1.      I am not as fit as I need to be
2.      “Tart” has a sadistic streak
3.      My boots are fine

“Tart” was very impressed with my hiking gear though less impressed with my “modifications” (I wore a long skirt over my base layers - totally impractical).We decided to take a very long stroll and our first stop was some very steep steps. Now, I haven’t mentioned before but “Tart” is a seasoned traveller and has been on many adventures, from geocaching in in Japan to cycling through Bolivian rainforest, he has even trekked through the Himalayas to base camp at Everest. Naturally, he has done the Inca trail, and has been my authoritative voice throughout. For example, when he found out I’d be renting a sleeping bag for the duration he was mortified and compared it to sharing a toothbrush with a complete stranger! Now, when you look at it like that it is pretty gross!  He then went on to say he took all his own camping gear and carried it himself! He couldn’t bear to use a porter – not authentic enough. Now, coming from a proud Scotsman I kind of understand him wanting to be like the great explorer Livingston. Coming from a city slicker like me it just sounds stupid! Bring on the porters!!!

Test Drive
Highway to heaven!
So, it's Saturday morning and we are up and ready to go on a comfortable stroll...well, so I thought till he had me running up and down the steepest, slipperiest steps he could find; as soon as I got to the top he would say, “now times that by 1000 and that’s half of the trek!” I could have cried! He then proceeded to take me for a walk along the pier from which we then proceeded to climb down onto what could only be described as the surface of the moon packed with sharp objects, seaweed, smothered rocks and whatever else the sea had washed in over the last few hundred years. In short it was a death trap and he loved every minute of my fear! At one point I was sprawled out like a spider too frightened to move whilst he pranced from rock to rock like a squirrel. Realising I was lagging behind he shouted, “perhaps you should make it an 6 day trek,” as opposed to the customary 4 day.
When I felt he had gone too far he would retort, “I’m only getting you ready for your trek baby.” At this rate, Ill be dead before I get there!





The boots, on the other hand, held up to the challenge. They stayed dry when I slipped into a tide pool, kept my ankles intact when I slipped on the steps, and most importantly they carried on breathing when all I wanted to do was the total opposite!







My new best friends, I'm yet to name them....













Breakfast in bed
All was forgiven when "Tart" presented me with breakfast in bed the following day, which is bloody lucky as I just didn’t have the strength to go downstairs and get it myself. Everything hurts which is very down heartening as I thought the training was going well I dread to think what will happen when the altitude kicks in. I need to up my game.........................




He is a sweethart...............


1 comment:

  1. The boots aren't "Paula", BUT they look as if they'll do the job. Well done on making it to the end of what sounds like a nightmare. Breakfast in bed - well deserved! :)

    ReplyDelete